2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Change the Brake Shoes
The brake shoes on the 2004 Chevy Cavalier are located inside the brake caliper on the right and left front brake rotors. The rear brakes are drum brakes. The front wheels will need to be removed from the axle and the brake calipers will need to be removed from the rotors. The calipers are secured to the rotors by two metal nut and the brake shoes are secured to the calipers by metal clips.
|New brake shoes|
Change the Brake Shoes
- Loosen the Chevy Cavalier's front right wheel lug nuts using the tire iron. Lift the front-right side of the Chevy Cavalier using the floor jack. Remove the Chevy Cavalier's lug nut and remove the front right wheel from the axle.
- Locate the brake caliper that is mounted to the top of the rotor (metal disk). Loosen the two securing bolts on the right and left side of the caliper using the ratchet set. Pull the brake caliper off of the brake rotor. Pry the brake shoe's metal clips outward with the screw driver and pull the brake shoes out of the brake caliper.
- Place the brake tool's metal plate on the opposite side as the metal piston inside the caliper. Twist the handle until the piston retracts back into the brake caliper. Insert the new brake shoes into the brake caliper.
- Replace the brake caliper to the top of the brake rotor and tighten the securing bolts to the secure the brake caliper to the top of the rotor. Replace the wheel to the axle. Replace the lug nut to the wheel. Lower the Chevy Cavalier back to the ground. Tighten the lug nuts using the tire iron.
- Repeat all of the above steps for the left side of the 2004 Chevy Cavalier.