2002 Ford Taurus Replace the Fuel Filter
Fuel filters filter out rust and dust particles that find their way into the fuel line. They contain a paper filter that allows the oil to pass through while catching particle contaminants. Paint chips and debris falling off fuel lines are a common problem. Due to this, filters are replaced often and are usually a part of a major service between oil changes. Without replacement an old fuel filter will allow debris into the fuel injectors and fuel pump, causing rapid wear. The 2002 Ford Taurus fuel filter can be reached from the top or bottom of the engine.
 Tools Used
 Replace the Fuel Filter
- Open the 2002 Ford Taurus hood and disconnect the negative battery cable using the appropriate size wrench. Relieve fuel system pressure by opening the fuel door and removing the fuel cap.
- Disconnect the two fuel lines using the appropriate size wrench. Place a towel around the ends of the fuel lines to capture any fuel leakage.
- Loosen the filter retaining clamp using the Phillips screwdriver, and remove the fuel filter. It pulls straight out.
- Install the fuel filter with the flow arrow facing the proper direction and tighten the retaining clamp using the Phillips screwdriver.
- Push the fuel lines on to the fuel filter until an click is heard. Double-check the connection by pulling out. The fuel lines should remain tight after clicking into place.
- Connect the negative battery cable using a wrench.
 Tips & Warnings
- Always start the engine and check for fuel leakage at the filter and the fuel lines.