2001 Ford Windstar Replace the Brake Light Switch
The brake light switch on a 2001 Ford Windstar resides under the brake pedal and activates when you step on the brakes. When the switch turns on, it sends a signal to the brake lights on the rear of the minivan, which turns them on. If the switch malfunctions, you may have no brake lights at all, or in rare occurrences, the switch sticks closed and the brake lights won't turn off. Either way, if you have some basic auto repair skills, you can change out the faulty switch in less than 30 minutes.
|13mm box wrench|
Replace the Brake Light Switch
- Open the driver's door and move the driver's seat as far back as it will go. Climb in so that you can see up under the dash near the brake pedal.
- Shine the flashlight up behind the brake pedal arm to locate the brake switch.
- Unbolt the switch from the mounting bracket using the 13mm box wrench. Pull the switch out and disconnect the wiring harness from the switch by hand.
- Connect the wiring harness to the new switch and then bolt the switch to the mounting bracket. Test the contact between the switch and brake pedal arm by depressing the pedal to see where it contacts the switch.
- Adjust as necessary with the box wrench to make sure the pedal arm makes good contact with the switch throughout its travel. Have your helper watch the brake lights as you test them by depressing the brake pedal to make sure they function properly before driving the Windstar.