2000 Dodge Neon Change a Fuel Filter
The fuel filter on the 2000 Dodge Neon filters the gas as soon as the gas comes out of the gas tank. The gas is pulled out of the gas tank by the fuel pump and travels into the fuel filter. The fuel filter then traps any trash and sediments from the gas inside of the filter. Once the gas leaves the fuel filter, the gas travels to the fuel injectors on the engine.
|Fluid catch pan|
|New fuel filter|
Change a Fuel Filter
- Park the 2000 Dodge Neon on level ground in a well-ventilated area. Unscrew the gas cap from the gas tank to relieve the pressure in the fuel filter.
- Jack up the rear of the 2000 Dodge Neon and put the jack stands under the frame rail on both sides of the car in front of the rear tires. Lower the Neon onto the jack stands.
- Crawl under the rear of the 2000 Dodge Neon and locate the fuel filter/fuel regulator on top of the gas tank. The fuel filter is attached to the fuel regulator that goes into the inside of the gas tank. There will be three quick-disconnect lines coming out of the fuel filter.
- Slide the fluid catch pan under the gas tank to catch any excess gas that comes out of the fuel filter. Squeeze the quick-disconnect fuel lines where the fuel lines connect to the fuel filter with your fingers and pull the quick-disconnect lines off of the fuel filter. Remember which fuel lines goes to each fuel-line connector on the fuel filter.
- Compress the locking springs on both sides of the fuel filter with your hand. Turn the whole fuel filter 90 degrees to the left at the same time to unlock the fuel filter from the fuel regulator. Pull the fuel filter out of the fuel regulator.
- Slide the new fuel filter into the top of the fuel regulator. Turn the fuel filter 90 degrees to the right until the fuel filter locks into the top of the fuel regulator.
- Connect all three of the quick connect fuel lines back onto the three fuel-line connections on the fuel filter.
- Slide out from under the car and screw the gas cap back onto the gas tank. Turn the ignition on and off four different times to fill the new fuel filter up with gas. Then, crank the engine. Inspect the fuel filter and the fuel regulator for any leaks while the engine is running. Turn the engine off and slide the catch pan out from under the car.
Tips & Warnings
- The fuel filter part number for the 2000 Dodge Neon is: Interfill Fuel Filter/ 1937-01066049.
- Never smoke around gas.
- Always wear safety glasses around gas.