1997 Dodge Intrepid Replace Water Pump
If the water pump in your 1997 Dodge Intrepid becomes damaged your vehicle will no longer be able to effectively pump coolant from the radiator to the 3.5-liter engine. This will cause the engine to overheat and eventually lead to a breakdown. If the water pump in your car does break, you should buy a replacement from your local auto and install it immediately. Ensure the water pump you purchase is the correct size for your 1997 Intrepid.
Replace Water Pump
- Turn off the engine and do not begin work until it has completely cooled down. Open the hood of the Intrepid and disconnect both the positive and negative cables from the battery terminals. Use a wrench to remove the bolts that hold the cable clamps to the battery terminals. Lift off the cables.
- Place a drain pan underneath the radiator. Open the radiator drain plug on the lower right side of the radiator by turning the plug counterclockwise. Drain the coolant into the pan. The engine must be completely cool before doing this or you will burn your hand.
- Use a wrench to loosen the bolt that is attached to the serpentine belt tensioner. Once the tensioner has been loosened, lift the serpentine belt from the assembly. Lift the belt from the vehicle and place it in a safe area for reattachment later. For better access you may have to remove the front right fender.
- Remove the lower radiator hose. Use a nut driver to remove the bolts and loosen the clamp around the hose. This will then allow you to remove the hose. Place a drain pan underneath the water pump to collect any coolant that comes out of the assembly. Remove the mounting bolts on the water pump pulley. Remove the water pump from the vehicle.
- Place the water pump in the same place where you removed the old one and fix it in place with the mounting bolts. Fix the water pump pulley in place and tighten with a torque wrench. Reattach the lower radiator and fix it place by using a nut driver to tighten the clamp around the hose.
- Reattach the serpentine belt. Use a torque wrench to tighten the bolt of the serprentine belt tensioner to securely fix the belt in place.
- Place the coolant back in the radiator. Reattach the battery cables to the terminals. Turn on the engine to check that the new water pump works correctly.