1996 Isuzu Rodeo Replace Interior Lights
The 1996 Isuzu Rodeo has several interior lights. These include the map lights, which illuminate the vehicle when you open the door, and the dashboard lights, which illuminate the instrument cluster. These lights will burn out eventually. When this occurs, the bulbs should be replaced as soon as possible for safety reasons. The map lights use #1156/1157 bulbs and the dashboard lights use #194 bulbs; both can be purchased at any auto parts store.
 Tools Used
 Replace Interior Lights
- Open the driver's side door and locate the map light on the ceiling of the Rodeo. Put on a pair of clean gloves.
- Insert a slotted screwdriver between the plastic cover of the map light and the ceiling of the Rodeo. Pry off the cover.
- Rotate the old bulb counterclockwise to remove. Install the new bulb by inserting it into the socket and twisting clockwise.
- Reattach the map light cover by snapping it into place. Test the light. Close the door.
- Turn the engine off and open the hood of your Rodeo. Put on a pair of clean gloves. Locate the battery in the rear-right corner of the engine compartment. Use a socket wrench to remove the negative battery cable from the battery post. This will disable the Rodeo's airbags and prevent them from activating while you are working on the instrument cluster.
- Remove the three Phillips-head screws underneath the upper plastic dash trim, above the instrument cluster. Pull off the upper plastic dash trim to allow easier access to the instrument cluster. Lower the steering wheel to its lowest position.
- Remove the three screws securing the instrument cluster to the interior of the vehicle. This will loosen the cluster. Use a slotted screwdriver to pry the cluster towards you. Reach behind the cluster and pull off the two electrical cable connectors at the rear of the cluster. At this point, you will be able to detach the cluster from the dashboard.
- Locate all nine bulbs in the instrument cluster and replace burned-out bulbs. Consider replacing all nine bulbs at once so you won't have to repeat this procedure again soon. Remove the old bulbs by rotating them counterclockwise and pulling them out of the sockets. Install the new bulbs by inserting them into the sockets and twisting clockwise to secure them.
- Reconnect the electrical cables to the underside of the instrument cluster and insert it back into the dashboard. Refasten the retaining screws to hold the instrument cluster in place and reattach the dashboard trim. Reinstall the three screws to secure the dashboard trim. Reconnect the negative battery cable to the battery and close the hood.
 Tips & Warnings
- Never touch replacement bulbs without gloves or a clean rag. Touching a halogen bulb with your bare fingers may leave oils on the surface of the bulb, causing it to burn out prematurely. If you do touch a bulb with your fingers, wipe it clean with alcohol and a clean rag to prevent the formation of hot spots on the surface of the bulb.
- The bulbs can become very hot. Allow some time to pass in order for the bulbs to cool down before replacing them.