1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Replace Drive Belt
The front engine accessories such as the alternator, power steering pump, air conditioner pump and the water pump are controlled by a drive belt. The drive belt on the 1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max is routed around each accessory pulley. As the engine is running, the crankshaft pulley turns the drive belt around the other accessory pulleys. This enables each accessory to function. Replace the belt if there is excessive cracking or other damage anywhere on the belt. If the belt breaks, none of the engine accessories can function.
|1/2-inch drive ratchet|
|1/2-inch drive socket set|
Replace Drive Belt
- Raise the hood on the 1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max and lock it in place.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery with the 1/2-inch drive ratchet and a small socket. Pull the cable back out of the way from the negative battery post.
- Locate the top alternator pivot bolt on the top of the alternator bracket. Loosen the pivot bolt with the ratchet and a socket.
- Locate the lock nut in the center of the alternator adjustment bracket. Loosen the lock nut by turning the nut counterclockwise. Do not remove the lock nut.
- Locate the adjustment bolt that is located on the end of the adjustment bracket. Loosen the drive belt by turning the adjustment bolt counterclockwise until the belt is loose.
- Pull the drive belt out of the pulleys in which the belt is riding. Then, remove the drive belt from the engine compartment.
- Route the new drive belt into the pulleys. Turn the adjustment bolt on the end of the adjustment bracket clockwise with the ratchet and socket. Once the belt is tight, stop turning the adjustment bolt and check the tension of the belt.
- Push in on the drive belt. If the new drive belt is properly tensioned, the belt will have no more than a half-inch of slack in the belt. If there is more than a half-inch of slack in the belt, continue to turn the adjustment bolt until the belt is properly tensioned.
- Tighten the lock nut by turning the lock nut clockwise with the ratchet and socket. Then, tighten the top alternator pivot bolt by turning the pivot bolt clockwise with the ratchet and socket.
- Crank the 1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max and let the engine run for about 15 seconds. Turn the engine off and check the tension on the belt again with your hand. Close the hood.
Tips & Warnings
- The drive belt can also be checked by using a belt tension checking tool. The belt tension checking tool can be bought at most auto-parts store.
- Keep hands away from the moving engine pulleys when the engine is running.