1993 Jeep Cherokee Replace Distributor
The 1993 Jeep Cherokee distributor does not have an ignition control module. The distributor's sole function is to disperse the spark. The ignition spark control is handled by a powertrain control module. The distributor is located on the passenger side of the engine. Outwardly, the distributor looks like a common distributor. It is important to install it like a conventional distributor.
 Tools Used
|Set of wrenches|
 Replace Distributor
- Open the hood and locate the distributor on the passenger side of the engine. Remove the distributor cap using the screwdriver. Lift the cap off and move it out of the way with the spark plug wires still attached.
- Mark the distributor at the base where it enters the block. Make a mark on the distributor and the block so the new distributor can be installed and the marks aligned. Make a second mark on the distributor housing directly under the rotor tip. When the new distributor is installed, the rotor must be facing in the exact same direction.
- Remove the bolt in the distributor harness hold-down clamp using a wrench. Disconnect the distributor wiring connector. Remove the distributor hold-down clamp bolt with a wrench and remove the clamp. Lift the distributor out of the engine.
- Lay the new distributor next to the one just removed. Transcribe the marks so the new distributor can be installed in the same direction. Insert the new distributor and align the housing mark at the base of the distributor. Align the rotor with the mark on the housing directly beneath it. If it does not line up properly, lift the distributor, rotate the rotor in the necessary direction, and reinsert it until it lines up.
- Install the distributor hold-down clamp and tighten the bolt with a wrench. Plug in the electrical connector for the distributor. Install the harness hold down clamp and tighten the bolt. Install the distributor cap and tighten with the screwdriver.