1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Remove Chrome Trim
Many older muscle cars, like the 1971 Chevelle from Chevrolet, were equipped with chrome trim from the factory. The trim looked great when it was new, but after a few decades, it can fade to a dull gray or become pitted with rust. To remove or replace the trim, you'll need to know where to find it and how to remove it. Some trim pieces are held on with tabs and other trim is glued to the surface of the car.
 Tools Used
 Remove Chrome Trim
- Open the hood to reach the bolts on the back side of the grille. The chrome on the grille surrounds the outside edges but is attached to the grille and cannot be separated. Remove the grille using a ratchet and 8 mm socket.
- Use the ratchet and 8 mm socket to remove the chrome bezel surrounding the headlights. The two bolts for each bezel are behind the lights and can be reached from inside the engine bay. They are near the bolts that had secured the grille.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the chrome trim from around the turn signal lights. This trim is very thin and can be gently pried away from the Chevelle's surface. Use this same technique to remove the chrome trim that is around the rear lights of the Chevelle.
- Bend down near the front tire and look up at the inside edge of the chrome trim that fits along the edge of the wheel well. There are Phillips screws attaching this trim. Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove all of the screws and pull the trim off. This trim is on all four wheel wells.
- Use a screwdriver to carefully pry up along the chrome trim surrounding the windshield and the windows. This trim is not attached with screws, so with gentle prying, it will come off easily.
- Place a rag or towel next to the chrome emblems on the front fenders, just behind the front wheels. Use a screwdriver to gently pry off the emblems. Keep the screwdriver under the towel so that it does not scratch the paint. The emblems should pop off with minimal pressure.
 Tips & Warnings
- After the trim around the windshield has been removed, it should be replaced with new trim or weather stripping to prevent water from leaking inside the Chevelle.